Glimpse of Yesterday

Glimpse of Yesterday

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

BBB - Black Bean Burritos...Yum!

I'm excited to share a simple, tasty recipe with you that I stumbled upon at a blog called The Simple Dollar. Trent, the author of that blog, shares a weekly recipe that is both delicious and frugal that he makes for his family.

Now, let me just say up front that I am a very boring cook. I tend to make the same five or six dishes because: #1 - I hate shopping, even grocery shopping, and my cart seems to just follow the same route every week in the grocery store, stopping in the same aisles, in front of the same freezers, and being drawn to the same produce (yawn); #2 - My family rarely gives me any feedback regarding the meals I do make and seem to be reluctant in suggesting ingredients or meals that are different (unless it pertains to tater tots, french fries and ice cream); #3 - Because of reason #1, I easily become lazy when my mind wants to make healthier, long-lasting changes to our diet as a family and I fall into the same boring routine.

So, I saw Trent's recipe for Black Bean Burritos and thought, "I can do that!" There are only a few ingredients:

A can of black beans. I happened to have one in my pantry.....I think it's because I was going to make a cold bean salad at one point. I also have a can of red kidney beans that I plan on using next time. I just heated the can of beans on the stove.....


A jar of salsa. And, yay, salsa was just on sale this week at the grocery store. I picked up a jar of the mild variety. Chunky or not, mild or hot, whatever your preference is, or, you can just cut up some fresh tomato if you choose....



Lettuce. It can be shredded and any variety you like. You can even use baby spinach. It provides a nice, fresh crunch in the burrito.....




Shredded cheese. Again, any kind you prefer. I buy the store brand of the Mexican or taco flavored. I like the finely shredded.....when the beans are heated, the cheese melts a little and......yummy!


Don't forget the tortilla! I use wheat tortillas. Place on a dinner plate and heat in the microwave for about 15 seconds to soften so they don't split when you roll them. They can be as big as your appetite. If my kids were young, I'd probably use the small tortillas.



I built my burrito this way:

On the heated tortilla I placed a spoonful of heated black beans near the bottom edge of tortilla, topped with another spoonful of salsa, some shredded lettuce comes next, then a sprinkling of shredded cheese. I then folded bottom edge over all toppings, and, as I began to roll it to the top, folded in the sides (like an envelope) so the filling doesn't spill out.

My family all enjoyed this recipe. What I like about it is that it's inexpensive, healthy, and easily adaptable to other ingredients. And so easy to do!

I hope you'll give it a try, and I recommend that you visit Trent's blog as well.

Have a blessed day!

Liane

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! Your comment about that smart shopping cart of yours made me laugh. Mine's the same way.

    ReplyDelete