Glimpse of Yesterday

Glimpse of Yesterday

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Lacey

Tell me...... just where has the time gone?



I swear it happened just yesterday. On a warm, sunny 20th day of April in 1993, God gave me and Peter a precious gift. Now, He really made us wait. The anticipated date of arrival for this wonderful baby girl had come and gone by a week. So, on that Tuesday morning, Peter drove me to the hospital to open our special package. On the way there I said to Peter, "I don't know if I want to do this today. How about we go out for breakfast instead?". I was joking, of course.

We got to the hospital for 7 a.m. and at 9:55 a.m. we welcomed the most beautiful baby girl into this world. The picture above is of Lacey at two days old.



Here is Lace at about five or six months old. She was so plump that my mom's nickname for her was "Puffalump".

Always happy and smiling. She played so well by herself and loved her playpen. She also loved watching the antics of her older, 2-year old brother.

It was torture for me to leave her everyday to go to work. Right after she turned one year old, I made the decision to be a stay-at-home mom to spend as much time with her and her brother that I could.

I thought this picture of her wearing a bunny outfit was fitting for this post.


Look at how chubby her little fingers are!!








Lacey has always been fun and imaginative. She wanted to be outside on every sunny day and has a very creative mind. She's a nature and animal lover. She has never been afraid to be her natural, true self and I admire her for possessing that quality.








Although I realize that most teenage daughters do not want to know that a mother is so proud to see themselves in their daughters, I am sometimes amazed at how I see my very young self in my daughter. She is very shy, as I was. She wants to be free in her own life and make her own way, as I once did. But this girl, she is strong. She possesses such a strength of her spirit that it leaves me in awe.


Although Lace is the younger child, she is by no means a follower. She is a leader. She knows what she wants and makes sure that she is clearing the path (by herself, mind you) to be where she wants to be. She has an incredible work ethic and I know that she will achieve whatever she sets out to accomplish for herself.


She is a woman of integrity. She is full of compassion and caring.







My "baby" is a young woman today. A bonafide adult. She has her full-operator's driving license. She is a registered voter and organ donor. She owns two cars and has so many plans and aspirations that it sometimes makes my head spin. "Not now!" "I'm not ready!" I cry on the inside.

It went by way too fast. If, today, I could turn the clock back 15 years, I would relish it like you don't even know. But I can't. All I can do is enjoy every moment of watching my baby girl grow into a wonderful young woman.

I love you, sweetie. Happy 18th birthday. Your dad and I want everything that is bright, beautiful and prosperous for you. We love you so much!!

3 comments:

  1. Awwww....loved that post.
    Happy Happy Birthday to my most Precious neice and there is something coming in the mail for her.

    LOve to all,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter. It's a wonderful post...better put it in her baby book. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liane, that was beautiful... you made me cry:)

    Happy Belated Birthday Lacey.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete