Glimpse of Yesterday

Glimpse of Yesterday

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Taking My Time

I have never been the kind of person that 'rushes'.  I don't perform better under pressure, as a lot of people do.  I cannot multi-task.  My brain does not very easily or very successfully go in three different directions at the same time.  I don't like feeling pressured.  I like to be prompt - on time.  What needs to get done will get done, but I'm not necessarily 'under the gun' to do it.

If I feel like I'm running late, there's a very good chance that a.) an article of clothing will be put on backwards and/or inside out, b.) a crucial item such as car keys will be missing in plain sight and I will become temporarily blind in the frenzy of being on time and not being able to locate such necessary item, or c.) I will become really cranky and snappy.  Nobody, especially me, wants that - again.  Yes, I was out shopping for myself and was really taking much more time than I allowed myself and was in my car in traffic when I realized my shirt was on inside-out and backwards and I had just run several errands since I tried on clothes in the thrift store. Or, when my son was in preschool and I had been engrossed in a magazine while his little sister was napping and I realized that it was time to pick him up and I could not find the car keys.  I looked everywhere.  Mind you, my house is the size of a shoe box.  I looked and looked.  The clock ticked.  Oh, God, I'm late.  Where are they?!  Hard to see now because of the tears.  They're going to think I forgot him.  I'm a horrible mother.  Why did I have to read that stinking magazine?  Relief! Found them! On the back of the toilet. And yes, I was the last mother at the school to collect her child.  Um, no need to get into the crankiness and snappishness of being irritated at being late - I'm sure the hubs and kids have a story or two.

All of that being said, I like to just focus on the task at hand.  If I'm folding laundry, I am all about that basket of clean clothes.  If I'm cooking, I am talking to myself and making sure that I am looking at the right recipe in the cookbook and not mixing up recipes on opposite-facing pages of the cookbook, as I have been known to do (and yes, tears were involved).  And washing dishes.  I do not have a dishwasher.  My dishwasher consists of mine (and my husband's) hands and my handmade dishcloths.  I find it to be very relaxing to wash dishes.  I have a window, that overlooks my perennial garden, directly over my sink.  It's amazing how quickly the task of washing dishes goes by when you can glance outside at flowers, birds, and butterflies.

And I don't mind waiting.  If I'm standing in line at a store and someone ahead of me in line needs a price check, or is writing out a check, or needs a rain check - yup, I just wait patiently.  If the doctor is running behind and I'm in the waiting room, I will read every magazine I can get my hands on *unless* they are golf related.

Time flies.  The kids grow up so quickly.  Now, the grandkids are growing up so quickly.  I want to enjoy everyday, not just blow through it.  I want to remember the day, not have it be a blur that I just 'got through'.  I think that's how memories are made.  I know that with my husband and kids, it's not necessarily the things we did or places we went that made a lasting impression.  The most memorable moments were made when we were just together.  Taking our time.


No comments:

Post a Comment