Glimpse of Yesterday

Glimpse of Yesterday

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Intentional Living

The more I live in an information saturated world, the more I long for the simpler, quieter days of yesteryear.  Yes, information is empowering, and the importance to know the truth is life-saving, but it can be quite overwhelming.  The world seems to be spinning faster, and all forms of media and social media seem to be telling me what I should be doing.

I feel as though the world around me is scrambling.  Scrambling, like a mischief of mice, for this, that, and everything else.  What ever happened to just living in the moment?  Living for today?  I'm not talking about being ignorant in the ways of financial savings, or being devoid of work or personal goals. 

Does anyone ever have a casual conversation?  One that is non-political or judgmental of any....thing, person, political group, religion, or lifestyle? 

Is anyone doing anything that 'everyone' else is not doing?  I find myself attracted to the mundane - diy (do-it-yourself) projects, cooking recipes, my new interests in homemaking skills such as sewing and knitting.  I want the days of old where the most shocking revelation of my day is that the price of bread has gone up (again).  I want to drink tea out of my vintage teacup and listen to the excited chatter of the birds outside.

I want the satisfying feeling of knowing that we have all that we need and enjoy the humble lifestyle we have been blessed with without society trying to convince me that my car isn't fancy enough, my complexion isn't youthful enough, my house isn't big enough, and we need to spend our hard earned money on a vacation that "everyone" else is taking.

I want to remember what it's like to not be able to watch television after midnight.  To have to go to the store or run errands without anyone being able to call me on my cell phone.  To have to use a paper map to find an unfamiliar location.  To feel accomplished and grateful for my clean clothes that are dried by the warm sun and a gentle breeze.  To be thankful for a well-stocked pantry that gives me a good meal, even though it may not rival one from Olive Garden or a fancy restaurant.

I want things to go a bit slower.  I want everyone to take a deep breath.  I want everyone to be kind - not because it's trendy or because a quote from Pinterest tells us to.  I want manners to come back into fashion.  I want parents to not only teach manners to their children, but to model it for them, as well.

Thankfulness, gratefulness, and kindness.  All can be possessed, but unless exercised, all can be lost.  They may not be trendy, fashionable, or popular, but all are a necessity, no matter how fast-paced our lives are.  I want to, no I need to, slow my steps, breathe, and mindfully make these things a priority in my life.  Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment