Glimpse of Yesterday

Glimpse of Yesterday

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Back to Basics, Part II

Now that we've discussed saving some $ by making homemade laundry detergent, let's talk about what we're going to do with the laundry once it's washed.

I am a HUGE fan of line-drying clothes. I get really excited (no, really), on a sunny day where the temp outside is at least 50 degrees in the morning. This is an excellent laundry day. If there's a little bit of a breeze, even better! I love everything about line drying. I love to see all five of my clotheslines full of freshly washed clothes. I know that on a warm sunny day, all of those clothes will be dry in a matter of hours. I love the scent of fresh air in our clothes.

I don't mind the 'roughness' of line-dried towels. Better exfoliation for after the shower. Plus, line-drying actually helps your clothes last longer. Where do you think all of that lint in the lint trap of the dryer comes from? Those are the fibers of your clothes being gradually removed every time they go into the dryer.

Even in the winter, I have a couple of wooden folding drying racks that I use to dry some of my clothes. I have pants and jeans that I don't dare put in the dryer (even on low temp) for fear of shrinkage. There was a time a few years ago, before I went back to work, when I would line-dry clothes in the winter if the temp was above freezing. Most of the moisture would evaporate and I would toss the clothes in the dryer for about 20 minutes to finish drying. Hey, 20 minutes is still a lot better (and cheaper) than 40 or 50 minutes.

What I really enjoy about line-drying is that most of the clothes dry in just a few hours, as I mentioned before. When I have to use my clothes dryer, sometimes I get occupied with other projects and don't readily remove the dried laundry for the next load. I end up spending an entire day going up and down the basement stairs doing load after load.

What about you? Are you a line-dryer too?

Have a blessed day!

Liane

2 comments:

  1. I wish that I were, but with the wood stoves and a transfer station just across the river...too many aromas to be concerned with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes M'am, I am. As a matter of fact, I have a load of linens in the wash that I am about to put on the line right now:-)

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete