Glimpse of Yesterday

Glimpse of Yesterday

Friday, December 30, 2016

Put Your Name on It

As a kid growing up in the 70's, all I wanted was to have something personalized with my name on it.  My friends all had their hair barrettes, pencils in different colors, pencil cases, and key chains.  Every where I looked I saw Susan, and Karen, and Linda....but Liane was no where to be found.  My family and some friends call me "Lee", but BUT in those days, Lee was considered a boy's name.  Sure, I could find Lee, but it had a sports theme or cars on it, or was blue.  It wasn't flowery and sparkly. 


Image result for stock photos of laverne defazio


I even was jealous while watching TV.  Even Laverne of Laverne and Shirley had that great big, beautiful, cursive L on all of her clothes.

So, I was one of those girls, who started a hope chest when she was 13, you know, dreaming of meeting her Prince Charming to come and sweep her off her feet so she could be a good, domesticated housewife.  I had everything - dishes, silverware (thanks to Betty Crocker), linens, doilies.... all that fun housewifey stuff.
Imagine my excitement when I went shopping one day, I think I was about 15 or so, and saw this beautiful mug.  I loved 'old fashioned' things even way back then, though I didn't yet know the word 'vintage'.  I remember gasping at this beautiful (yet, manly) mug that was screaming my name.  ^^^^That's the mug, up there - terrific, isn't it?  And it's MINE, ALL MINE, 'cause it says so.  Lee, that's me.

Nowadays, almost anything and everything can be personalized.  Who knew back in the 70s and 80s there would be this thing called online shopping, where you could get practically everything your heart desires?  It's probably a good thing I didn't have it available to me, now that I think of it....

So, here I am, 30+ years later, thoroughly enjoying a cup of tea from my very own mug that gave my teenage self an ego boost, while in my own home, in a marriage of 27 years, with 2 children and a 2nd grandchild on the way.

Oh, and now I'm getting other things personalized, but in a different way:
                                                         Necklace by beadtreasuresbylori

 I just love it when my own items become vintage without me even realizing it, and they have a pretty good story to boot.




No comments:

Post a Comment