Glimpse of Yesterday

Glimpse of Yesterday

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Turn Back the Clock on Holiday Decorating

Over the years, I have done many different kinds of simple and frugal holiday decorations.  Of course, the 12' tall perfectly decorated, themed, ribboned, sparkled trees are gorgeous, but they're not my style.  I don't do themes.  I just want to be surrounded by things that I like and that I can afford.  I don't do after-holiday decoration shopping.  A lot of homemade or handmade decorations are special because they can be done in shared time with friends and family, or be made with items that are sentimental.

Just a few examples:


This is a fabric and button star ornament made by my sister-in-law, Brenda.  Every year, Brenda makes the most wonderful handmade ornaments as gifts.  This particular star was made with holiday fabric and a small piece of fabric from my late father's-in-law shirt.  It pretty, sentimental, and easy to make.






This >>>> is a wooden ornament, purchased at a craft store, and painted by my two-year old grandson.  He's at the age where he is learning his colors and using his fine motor skills.  He chose the colors and used a foam 'dot' brush to paint his ornament.  I'm sure it will be treasured by his mama and dada forever!











This is another ornament made by Brenda.  It's a large, wooden craft stick painted white and decorated with marker to be a snowman.  She added a black felt hat and red ribbon as the scarf.  My son has had this for many, many years.





To the right are these wonderfully scented pomanders that I made today with oranges and whole cloves.  That's it.  I just stuck whole cloves in any pattern that fancied me and now my house is filled with this lovely scent!  Whole cloves can be found in the spice aisle of the grocery store.

And don't forget the old stand-bys of holiday decorating: the paper chains, stringing of popcorn and cranberries into garland for the tree or to hang throughout the house, making garland from dried orange slices and cinnamon sticks, using small pine boughs and ribbon to make swags for doors....so many possibilities! 

What's wonderful about handmade decorations are the memories that are made during the creation process, the receiving as a gift, and the possible traditions that are formed from these handmade items.  Handmade items seem to have a way of bonding people together, even when there's a physical separation.  Generally, simple, handmade items cost significantly less than the pricey department store items (which also don't give you the warm and fuzzies).

Keep things simple.  Involve your significant other, your kids, and your friends and have some fun making some new memories on the frugal.

No comments:

Post a Comment